As any radio amateur is well aware: there’s not much point having the latest and great radio gear and fancy headphones, etc., if you don’t have any way of getting a decent radio signal into the air!
So here is a bit of info on what I have done for an HF band antenna here at the home station.
In point form, I wanted to achieve:
- Low visual impact
- low cost
- low wind loading
- easily raised and lowered in bad weather
- as many bands as possible on a single antenna
- simple construction, for home brewing
What I decided upon:
- Off Centre Fed Dipole
- 40 metres long (27 + 14m legs)
- Fed with 4:1 Balun Designs 3kW Bal-Un
- 2mm-square copper wire, insulated
- approx 9-10m above ground level
- approx 95m above sea level